Last October with butterflies and a bit of faith I gave up my regular job as a gallery assistant to be a fully self employed artist and workshop teacher.
These are some of the things I have learnt so far.
1. That making art and having time to do so has given me much more joy than I ever imagined.
2. That some people will be incredibly supportive and encouraging when seeing someone follow their passion.What a difference that makes!
3. That some people will be a bit negative and that actually doesn’t make much of a difference at all long term.
4. Putting energy, (even things that seem insignificant) into a business makes it grow.
5. There are a lot of lovely creative people out there.
6. I feel I am only at the tip of the iceberg regarding social media but I already know it has enabled me to sell artwork, make connections and learn lots, (not just that I need to cut down on my cat picture output on instagram).
7.That lack of confidence has held me back and now each sale or class I achieve demonstrates that I should not have let it.
8.I can work hard.
9. Thinking time is really valuable.
10.It is really true what they say about practice makes perfect.. just having more time has improved my drawing so much.
Are you about to take a leap of faith? Do it!